UN Reference Library
Established in 1991, the UN Reference Library has comprehensive information resources on UN agencies and Asian countries, with a special focus on Viet Nam. It is an excellent source for public information on the activities of the UN, UNDP and its agencies in Viet Nam.
The Reference Library serves both internal UN staff and members of the public. It provides a vast amount of materials on the activities of the United Nations and its agencies worldwide, and especially in Viet Nam.
Members of the general public, Government of Viet Nam, NGOs, diplomatic missions, media, private sector, academics and students are welcome to visit and take advantage of all the available reference materials.
General Collection: More than 8,000 books are displayed on open-shelves in the reading room and arranged by subjects according to the UN Classification Scheme. The collection focuses on UN agencies' development programmes and activities, the national economic situation, population studies, statistics, and legal documents.
Project Collection: The project collection consists of approximately 2,000 records of UNDP project reports. These include a number of reference materials produced by UN-funded projects such as project documents, terminal reports, technical reports and feasibility studies. A great number of these documents are available in digitized format for reference.
Databases: UN library bibliographic databases including
- Books and monographs
- Project reports
- Legal documents covering all legal writings published in Cong bao and English Official Gazette
Current newspapers and journals: The Library subscribes to approximately 20 international and local newspapers and magazines, both in English and Vietnamese. Current issues, dated back two months, are displayed in the open stack areas.
CD-ROMs: There are several CDs available for users' access covering various subjects: population, health, human development, environment, natural resources, manufacturing and handicrafts produced by UN/UNDP, CO agencies and UNDP-funded projects. This collection will continue to expand.
The UN Reference Library and Research Library provides the following services:
- Library services: book reference, lending, on-the-spot reading. Online information search is facilitated by a senior librarian. Users are also encouraged to search the library online catalogs or Internet. Guidelines are provided.
- Databases & Digital sources: besides the library online databases using WinISIS software, the Library has access to other UN databases and UNDP Corporate Information Resources including a number of leading journals in full-text.
- Photocopy: self-service photo-reproduction facilities are available. The photocopy charge is 500 VND/page.
- UN publications for sale: The prices of UN publications sold through the Library are set to recover printing costs only. Payment can be made either in USD or in VN Dong. The price list of all publications for sale is available.
- Free materials: There are also free publications available on the display-stand including the UN Newsletter, UN -leaflets, VN government ODA Newsletter and various journals
Public users are required to abide by the following Library Access Rules:
Visitors should register their names and address at the entrance of the UNDP compound.
- Loan Eligibility
Visitors with borrower's cards can borrow documents from the library. The following are generally not for loan: CD-ROMs, statistical material, reference materials.
- Borrower's card
To obtain a borrower's card, please contact with the library staff. When you apply for a card, you will be asked to complete a registration form and present identification (ID) which includes your name and current address, two photos and a recommendation letter from a responsible agency to obtain a borrower's card. The card holder will be charged an annual fee of $20.00 for a borrower's card.
- Circulation Procedures
Loan Periods: most books: 7 days, magazines: 5 days
Loan limit: Five items are allowed per card.
Renewals: To retain items for additional loan period, take the materials to the library. If there is no other request for the item, it may be renewed once for another week. No renewal on high demand items or items on hold.
Monday - Friday
From 08.30 - 12.00
Closed Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays
25-29 Phan Boi Chau, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
Tel : (844) 942-1495 ext. 114
Fax: (844) 942- 2267